Saturday, June 20, 2009

Something for dads and moms on Father's Day


Educate children without religion, and you make a race of clever devils.~ Willington


TO ANY LITTLE BOY'S FATHER


There are little eyes upon you,

And they're watching night and day;

There are little ears that quickly

Take in every word you say.

There are little hands all eager

To do everything you do,

And a little boy who's dreaming

Of the day he'll be like you.


You're the little fellow's hero;

You're the wisest of the wise;

In his little mind, about you,

No suspicions ever rise.

He believes in you devoutly,

Holds that all you say and do,

He will say and do in your way

When he's grown up just like you.


There's a wide-eyed little fellow,

Who believes you're always right;

And his ears are always open

And he watches day and night.

You are setting an example

Every day in all you do,

For the little boy who's waiting

To grow up to be like you!

~Selected

1 comment:

  1. Well, that is a good poem right there. I've learned a lot from my dad over the years, and I thank the Lord for him. Even though he wasn't saved when he married my mom, he has always been faithful to his wife and he always stood for faithfulness to your spouse. I'd like to say that while I'm not a father I can relate somewhat to that poem. It took the indelicate words of a friend of mine to get me to realize that my little brother Brian looks up to me several months ago. Bro. Jim, my friend, removed some of my obliviousness in a unique way several months ago, and since then I've been more careful to take note of certain things. Here is a funny story: Just the other day Brian got out of the shower and got dressed in my room. While he was in there I was waiting in the hallway for him to finish. After he finished he emerged from the room with his hair sticking up and excitedly began to tell me about the channel catfish he caught earlier that day while fishing with our dad. He was looking right in my eyes while telling me, and then I noticed he glanced up at my hair (which I had neatly combed with some gel) and then immediately went back into my room without delay. With purposeful intention he grabbed a comb after taking about three steps into my room and proceeded to fix his hair without me even saying a word to him about it. I kinda laughed when as I watched a light go on after he looked at my hair. I believe Bro. Jim was right, Brian does look up to me. My prayer is that he'd see that Jesus is real, and that Bob would be nothing if it weren't for Jesus. Hypocrisy and lack of joy in adults are two reasons why some children end up fleeing from church at the first opportunity afforded to them. God help us to walk even as He walked. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. Bro. Allen says about 1 John 4:17, "I wonder how many young folks, how many middle aged folks, how many elderly folks have seen Jesus in you and me?" Because as He is, so are we in this world. Whether father, mother, sister, brother, whatever title you have someone is looking at you... can they see Jesus in you? can they see that Jesus is real to you? Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men. Well, that poem was a blessed reminder that folks are watching, and little eyes don't miss a thing. Thank you Mrs. Wilson.

    ReplyDelete