Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pleasure and Pain


I attended a Ladies' Meeting a week ago and was blessed. The pastor's wife was a former Sunday school student of mine. She was in my class when I taught the 7-12 old girls. I was so proud and happy to see her standing before the crowd with poise and dignity. The guest speaker from South Dakota I have also known since she was a girl. These girls have grown and matured into beautiful young ladies. But as I listened to them I realized they have grown into the type of women they are because of the pleasure and pain God has allowed into their lives. If they had been allowed to live lives of ease and wealth they would not have had reason to lean on God as hard as they have had to. The pastor's wife has a rare disease that she has had to live with now for over 10 years. She is very often in a lot of pain and often hospitalized. Yet she had no gripes and complainings only praise and thanks to a good God.
The speaker has had many physical problems as well and just one year her family of 7 was in a tragic car wreck that has left her husband with brain injuries. At the time of the "accident" it looked like he would not live and also one of her twin daughters was not breathing when her mother knelt beside her on the busy highway. Our miraculous God has amazed us over and over in the almost year since the wreck. Her husband and daughter are doing well. Thanks be unto God. Keep them in your prayers. Last week Lori (the speaker) said on trials,"Bear it , don't begrudge it" and Rachel (the pastor's wife) said, "Trials will either conquer you or conform you to His glory." Coming from 2 women who have known both great pleasures and great pains I treasure these words and dedicate this poem to them.

I walked a mile with Pleasure,
She chattered all the way;
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.

I walked a mile with Sorrow,
And ne'er a word said she,
But, oh the things I learned from her
When sorrow walked with me.

~Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment